Monday, July 13, 2009

Tips

I couldn't think of anything particularly interesting to write about today so I thought I'd write up a few tips.

I know that most of you who read this will probably already know this stuff but it will be worth it if even one person finds it helpful.

1. Limit the amount of times you go out to eat. Home cooked food has fewer calories and you can control what you put into your body.

2. Pack yourself a lunch for work. This will save money. We have a canteen where I work and I am tempted to get the nice heavy lunches they serve. Bringing my own lunch saves me from myself.

3. Look for the healthy options when grocery shopping. Weight Watchers meals are good and if you're sticking to the points plan, there's no calculation involved. In Ireland, one of our big supermarkets, Tesco, carries their own line called Light Choices which will also tell you how many Weight Watchers points are in their meals. They have nice soups as well.

4. Use a low calorie spray for frying food rather than oil. I like Fry Light.

5. Make your own dressings and dips whenever you can. I love Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing. Unfortunately, I can't get it in Ireland. Friends and family send me the packets to make my own. To mix it, you use milk and mayonnaise. I use soy milk (my husband and I are slightly lactose intolerant) and extra light mayonnaise. I also add hot sauce (low in calories and no fat) and extra spices to jazz it up a bit.

6. Diet with a buddy. It's always easier to have someone with whom you can share all of your dieting ups and downs and tips. I am flying solo at the moment but a friend of mine (you know who you are!) is going to start WW soon and I plan to support her every step of the way.

7. Move more. Take a walk. For those with small children, invest in a jogging stroller. Go shopping and do a few laps around the mall. Anything that gets you up and moving will burn calories. Weight Watchers on its own will work but with exercising you'll see better results and feel healthier.

8. Celebrate milestones! Set a small goal for yourself and get a treat when you reach it. Lose 5 lbs and get a manicure.

9. Don't overdo it. Don't starve yourself. I am still eating three meals a day with small snacks in between. If you feel faint, dizzy, or just really hungry, re-evaluate your food choices. Things like beans and lentils are low in fat and calories and will help you feel full for longer.

10. Lastly, if you really really need a piece of chocolate or another "naughty" snack - go for it! You won't do yourself any favors by denying yourself the things you want. It will only make you binge.

I hope this was helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment