Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Getting it off and keeping it off!

The funny thing about losing weight is that losing weight is the easy part compared with keeping the weight off and maintaining your healthy weight.  Trust me, I'm an experienced yo-yo dieter.

Once you start dieting and exercising and really getting into the groove of it, the weight will come off.  You have to be diligent and patient; it took a long time to gain the weight so it stands to reason that it will take a long time to come off.

It will come off, though.  Before you know it, you're a few clothing sizes smaller and it's time to go shopping.  Does this mean you can abandon your diet?  Stop exercising?  I'm afraid not. This may seem like common sense, but trust me, there are people out there who think that once they reach their goal weight, they can go back to their old habits. 

Maintaining a healthy weight means you have to change your lifestyle.  You may have to give up things you like but you can in turn develop new, healthier habits and start being more active which can be very rewarding.  I took up running which I now love.  I also hauled out my bicycle last spring which hadn't seen daylight in a shameful amount of time and instead of taking taxis to the next town over when I needed to go there, I cycled

You don't have to do those things; simply going for a walk a few times a week will be enough to get you started.  Once you get outside, it's hard to go back in.  Give it a try.  If you're interested in running, check your area for local runs, like charity runs or fun runs and sign up.  It will give you something to train for.

With regard to food, you can have a treat every once in a while; it won't do you any good to deny yourself something you really want if you're just going to be miserable.  If you want something, have it.  Just watch your portions.  After I had been dieting for about 5 or 6 months, I really wanted fish and chips one night, so I ordered it at a restaurant.  I LOVE fish and chips; it was always one of my favourite things to eat.  That night, however, I couldn't finish it.  It was suddenly too greasy for me and I instantly regretted ordering it.  You'll find that this might happen with you as well; something you loved may not taste as nice when you get used to eating healthy food.

I hope this has been helpful.  Feel free to email me if you have specific questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment